Wednesday, February 12, 2014

omg my parents like each other

Last Sunday, I went on my weekly pilgrimage to my parents’ for lunch. None of my sisters made it home, so I sat across the table from both of them while my dad was telling me a story about the guy who invented Botox. I question the accuracy of his story, but the story goes that Botox was originally intended for face lifts for functional reasons, not cosmetic. So some old lady had drooping eyes and couldn't see, so a doctor injected her face with botox and it lifted her eyelids so she could see. To tell this story, my dad physically raised his brows which scrunched his forehead and made like 7 distinct wrinkles cross his entire forehead. My mom started giggling and stared at his wrinkles for a sec before reaching for his forehead as if smoothing out the wrinkles. My dad didn't even notice and kept telling the story, and my mom looked at my dad in a sweet way that was like, “aww, dad is getting old”.

 I don’t know why it surprised me so much. I have never seen any sort of PDA from my parents and I've never heard them say ever use ‘love’ and ‘you’ in the same sentence (in neither Vietnamese nor English). I've always thought they married each other for survival in the US, but I guess I’m just realizing they fell in love with each other afterward. I'm torn between feeling like, "Gross, parents..." and, "aww, my parents have feelings". At the same time, I think if you’re around someone enough, you just start to like them.

Anyway, this is an old picture of my parents that I love! They look so cool and retro. I can't wait til I have pictures like this. I have no idea when this was taken, possibly before any of us were born. They look so young, I can't believe they had 4 children. I can see me and Kim in my mom, and Liza and Linda in my dad. Am I right?
   photo SCAN0009_zps43a4d234.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Adorable Pic! I saved it on my computer. On of my faves is the one in the family room where mom is wearing a mu mu and dad is holding a cig like a bad boy. So 'see ke'

    ReplyDelete