Friday, June 13, 2014

Seahawk Sighting

A little over a year ago, I told John I was concerned that if I ever ran into a Seahawk out of context, I disappointingly probably wouldn't be able to recognize them. I could probably recognize their name, but without their helmets and jerseys on, I would be at a lost! I jokingly told John I was going to start following them all on Instagram so I would actually know what they looked like. I also told John then that I should always wear make up because you never know the day that you will run into a Seahawk player.

Everyone, today was that day.
(NFL players, they're just like us! Waiting in line at TSA and waiting for the train!)

It was at the airport in a crazy long TSA line. I had just gotten my boarding pass and ID checked so I went to go wait in line to put my stuff through the x-ray machine, when I noticed a big tall black dude with a hoodie on getting his ID checked. Uh, he definitely looked familiar, and he definitely made eye contact, but looked away. He got in the line for the x-ray machine one machine over, so we were facing each other while we loaded our things onto our own conveyor belts. Yes, we made eye contact like 5 more times. I quickly google-imaged Kam Chancellor. Yes, it looked like him, but was this wishful thinking?! Finally, he took off his hoodie to go through security which exposed his big muscles. Okay, I was 90% sure this was Kam Chancellor! I was about to grab my stuff from the machine and go over to him to say hi or something, when a TSA guy grabbed my bag and told me I'd have to wait while he put it through again! I anxiously waited for my bag while I tapping my toe and watching possibly Kam Chancellor walk away and out of sight! Finally my bag came through and I booked it, almost running in the same direction I saw Mr. Chancellor go (uhh, I swear it also happened to be the direction my gate was), while simultaneously calling John to tell him what I thought was happening to me. John tried to look him up on twitter in case he'd posted anything about his whereabouts, but John came up empty. I saw Mr. Chancellor 100 yards in front of me, but I had to go to S gates which required taking the train. Do I run and catch up to him or wait to see if he was taking the train too?! I did the latter, and it turned out he was taking the train also!!! I boarded the train right after him, by this time I was seriously shaking. I knew he wasn't trying to make a scene, but I just had to say hi.

When the train finally stopped and everyone was heading for the escalators, I turned to him and asked, "Are you Kam Chancellor?". He smiled from under his hoodie and slightly nodded his head while saying "Yeah". I freaked out a little bit and we boarded a packed escalator so we were stuck right next to each other for 2 floors worth of escalator. I asked to discretely take a picture since I knew he wasn't trying to be seen. He very graciously complied and suggested it be a selfie. Then I told him I was eyeing him at TSA, and he said, "Yeah, I saw you. You can kind of tell when fans want to say hi". He also said he doesn't try to make a scene, so that's why he keeps his hoodie on all the time and keeps busy on his phone. I kind of just stared at him in awe, not saying anything else, until he said, "What's your name?". OMG I COULD HAVE DIED. "CHRISTINE," I said, sticking out my hand, "ITS SO NICE TO MEET YOU." He asked me where I was traveling, and I didn't want to intrude so I didn't ask where he was going, but he actually ended up on the same plane as me! Only he was in first class. Ugh, It was so exciting. I was so proud of myself for being able to identify him. I don't think anyone else at the airport realized! Or if they did, at least they didn't approach him. I was so high from it, I couldn't sleep on the plane at all.

Anyway, moral of the story: follow football players on instagram because it's hard to know what they look like under their helmets. Also, always wear makeup because who knows when you'll run into an NFL player.
Yeah, I was like 2 escalator steps above him which is why we are comparable heights.

P.S. You are one cool dude, Kam Chancellor. Thanks for not shutting me down.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you went up to him! I like how you took secret pictures of him too. I think I would be too scared to approach someone famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha this was TOO funny!! you had a lot of interaction with him and he was on the same flight?! WHAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally read this extremely long post. It sounds very exciting and I'm glad you had such an exciting time meeting Kam. Although I don't know anything about him, he seems super nice. Fun!

    ReplyDelete