Thursday, June 12, 2014

uh I am half way done with nursing school?

Jenny and I on our last day of our first year of nursing school!
Ummm... I'm not sure how this happened, but I am done with my first year of nursing school! It's a complicated mix of emotions: accomplished because I finished what most older students consider the hardest quarter of the program (or at least so I think. We'll find out when grades come out), excited to start all my summer projects, relieved that I get a break, and almost sad the program is going by so quickly. I didn't start feeling melancholic about the program being over until our med-surg professor made a little speech before the final, saying how we had such a great group dynamic, and telling us to support each other because there is a lot of lateral violence out there. If this year flew by that fast, what's to say next year won't?!

Another thing I've been realizing is how unprepared I will be for the workforce when I'm done with school. Nursing school is intense, and there is no way any 2-year program can expose you to everything you might encounter in the real world, let alone, have you become comfortable with it. By the end of clinical this quarter, I was kind of like, errrrr, I haven't gotten to do all my skills I learned in interventions yet!! I know I still have another whole year, but honestly, I think nursing school teaches you a lot of theory, and the majority of actual 'nursing' work you do will  be on the job training.

This year has been so crazy fun and challenging. Now it's time to bum out and rejuvenate before September comes!
How Kathie and I celebrated the start of summer- BOGO Chipotle on their outdoor patio!

2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! Almost done! Can you write about some of your future summer projects? I'd like to know so I can join if possible. Fun times this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should frame that picture of you and Jenny! It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete