Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK Jr. Day

Last Friday, the 5 year old girl I nanny for told me about the Martin Luther King Jr. Day assembly (wow, remember those?!) at her school. Her 5-year-old-interpretation of the assembly was that Dr. King was killed while making a speech by getting shot in the finger which resulted in his death. I was at a lost for words, not because I couldn't tell her that's not how he died, but because I couldn't even tell her how he did. I felt so dumb and unpatriotic. I felt like a dumb American.

Anyway, her mom stepped in at that exact moment and clarified the events that both E and I had jumbled up in our heads. So all is well in 5-year-old land. I, on the other hand, really need to spend more time reflecting on things that are bigger than me and reviewing my US history... MLK day means more than no school, free parking and no postal delivery!

No comments:

Post a Comment