Wednesday, January 29, 2014

craft time > assessment time

 photo E2AA04AB-AB22-4A7A-87AA-0A29D7BF3580_zpsbgpchumg.jpg

Today was our third day at our gerontology clinical site. Honestly, gero clinicals are very slow. It's our first so I'm not really sure how much I can do or how receptive the employees are to students. There are 10 of us students at the specific site and we're each assigned a resident to do assessments on and to follow around all day. There's not that much structure in terms of what we need to do exactly during the day, but that's pretty nice because we can just do whatever we want and see whatever we want!

Since we started coming on Wednesday, the activity coordinator started scheduling activities for Wednesday morning. Today we made Valentine's Day decorations for the old people to hang on their doors. I had a blast because my resident didn't want to go so I just made a bunch for all the other old people who couldn't make their own. I made a really hipster one for one of my favorite residents that read "Yes", "Cool Kid", "UR Cute". I showed it to him and then hung it on the back of his wheelchair. I later found out that he was wheeling himself around pointing to the back of his chair to show everyone. I'm pretty sure that's the most effective thing I did today. I had so much fun with these foamy stickers that I permanently borrowed some to make my own Valentines. I love crafts. I hope there's another good one next week.

4 comments: